The REALTOR® Foundation of Iowa helps people in need across the state. That tradition continues into 2019-2020 with Project Jack. Originating in the Quad Cities area in memory of Jack Lindaman, the project gives 4th and 5th graders the opportunity to pay it forward in any way the class chooses. The original project was carried out 5 years ago with each person in Jack’s class at Alan Shepard Elementary School receiving $100 to pay it forward. There were not any stipulations given or rules to follow on how to use the money. Projects ranged from donations to charitable organizations to passing out roses to strangers. The project has changed as we have rolled it out across the state of Iowa. 4th and 5th-grade teachers are invited to fill out an application for a $250 grant to be used toward a pay-it-forward type project.
ASK A QUESTION
By the numbers
16,611 INVOLVED STUDENTS
Jack Lindaman was born on the 4th of July. Jack was affectionately called a little firecracker. Jack and his family enjoyed fireworks and all the festivities around the Fourth of July. He liked to make people happy and was always a positive light to those around him despite his health issues. Jack passed away in February 2010 from spinal muscular atrophy (SMA). According to curesma.org, “SMA is a disease that robs people of physical strength by affecting the motor nerve cells in the spinal cord, taking away the ability to walk, eat, or breathe. It is the number one genetic cause of death for infants.” To read more about SMA or to make a donation visit this page.
Jack Lindaman was 6 years old when he passed away. With Project Jack, his memory and loving spirit will continue on through the good deeds of children. The Realtor® Foundation of Iowa has created a fund to help students across Iowa to participate in Project Jack.
Application PERIOD has CLosed
We have reached our limit of the number of applications for projects we can fund. We appreciate the tremendous interest and hope to offer this again next school year! Please check back in the Fall of 2020.
Details for 2019-2020 School Year
$250 grant will be distributed per class that applies under the following requirements. 160+ Projects will be funded this year.
- Must be a pay-it-forward type of project. It must benefit another person or go to an organization that is helping Iowans in need.
- Must remain in Iowa. Out-of-state or international projects will not be accepted.
- Exception would be for Iowans serving in the military.
- Exception made for Iowa towns on the border that might be serving Iowans and others in adjacent state. For example, a project helping patients at Children’s Hospital in Omaha would be acceptable.
- Funds cannot go toward equipment for school (ie. musical instruments, sports equipment, etc.)
- We encourage (but do not require) classrooms to find a project they can actively participate or help in lieu of simply donating the money to a cause.
- Applications will be completed online via a Google Form similar to last year. The online form will go live at projectjack.org on Tuesday, December 3 at 7:00 am.
- Teachers are encouraged to complete the online application as soon as possible. The available grant spots fill up quickly!
- Teachers can fill out the short application first, discuss with their class, and email details by January 17, 5:00 pm - firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applications will include an area to describe the class project. Applications and all details should be received by Friday, January 17, 5:00 pm.
- If all grant spots are taken, we may close earlier and notify the recipients earlier.
- Teachers will be notified by 5:00 pm on Jan. 21 or earlier if their application is accepted.
- There will be a wait list used to fund projects from areas that receive additional funds from local Realtor® organizations.
- Check will be processed and sent in late January/early February.
- Projects should be completed by April 1. If more time is needed due to uncontrollable factors such as weather, bus trips, etc. this can be addressed on a case-by-case basis.
Project jack 2019 Highlights
project jack 2018 highlights
View the Photos on Flickr
Project Jack 2017 highlights