Get an Iowa Real Estate Broker License
Congratulations on your decision to take the next step in your real estate career. Outlined below is a list of things you will need to do in order to get your Iowa Real Estate Broker license.
Have a question? We are always happy to help; email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-532-1515 option 1.
Meet Licensing Requirements
- When you apply for a broker's license you must have been a licensed active salesperson for 24 months.
- You must complete 60 hours of prescribed broker classes (see below for the nine required pre-broker classes). You can take the courses from any accredited school or any combination of accredited schools.
- You can take the 60 hours in any order.
- Each course certificate is valid for 24 months from the date of completion. Each certificate expires individually. You must complete all the courses and pass the examination before the expiration of the first certificate.
- If a certificate expires you must repeat the course to receive a valid certificate.
- You must present all the valid certificates to the testing center the day of your exam.
- You have until the last working day of the sixth month following the date you pass the examination to apply for your broker license.
- A state and federal criminal background check is required for new broker applicants. See the information below for more details.
Licensing questions should be directed to the Iowa Real Estate Commission at 515-725-9022 x8. For education questions or to register for a course contact the Iowa Association of REALTORS® Education Department at 800-532-1515 option 1 or register online.
Complete a Background Check
Important - a completed background check is only valid for 210 days, so you should plan your education and test schedule accordingly. Background checks can take up to 8-10 weeks to be completed.
Key Points Regarding The Background Check
- As of September 11th, all applicants and/or licensees will need to go to https://plb.iowa.gov/ and create a login for DataPro (aka "My Iowa PLB") and then submit their request for a fingerprint packet electronically through the application named "General - Background Packet Request." There is no fee for the packet. However, the fee to be submitted to the Iowa Real Estate Commission with the completed fingerprint card and waiver form is $51.00.
- You do not need to wait for your background check to be approved to send in your license application.
- Once the background check has been reviewed by the commission the report is only valid for 210 days.
- An applicant for a real estate salesperson license who has been convicted of forgery, embezzlement, obtaining money under false pretenses, theft, extortion, conspiracy to defraud, or another similar offense, or of any crime involving moral turpitude, in a court of competent jurisdiction in this state or in any other state, jurisdiction, territory, or district of the United States, or in any foreign jurisdiction, may be denied a license by the commission on the grounds of the conviction.
- “Conviction” is defined in Iowa Code section 543B.15(3) and rule 193E—2.1(543B).
Complete the Required Pre-Broker Classes
16.3(2) Required course of study beginning January 1, 2020. Beginning January 1, 2020, the required course of study to take the broker examination shall consist of at least 60 classroom hours. Approved courses shall be completed within 24 months prior to the applicant’s taking the broker examination and shall include the following subjects:
- Contract Law and Contract Writing . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. .. . . . . . 6 hours
- Iowa Real Estate Trust Accounts. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. .. .. . . 6 hours
- Principles of Appraising and Market Analysis. . .. . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . 6 hours
- Real Estate Law and Agency Law . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. .. . . . . . 6 hours
- Real Estate Finance . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. ... .. .. .. . . . 6 hours
- Federal and State Laws Affecting Iowa Practice* . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6 hours
- Real Estate Office Organization, Administration & Human Resources . . . 12 hours
- Real Estate Technology and Data Security. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6 hours
- Ethics and Safety Issues for Brokers. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . 6 hours
16.3(3) Completion of prelicense education. Successful completion of the broker prelicense education includes passage of an examination(s) designed by the approved provider that is sufficiently comprehensive to measure the student’s knowledge of all aspects of the course(s). Times allotted for examinations may be regarded as hours of instruction.
16.3(4) Substitution of courses. Written requests for substitution of the broker prelicense education courses specified in 16.3(1) may be granted if the applicant submits evidence of successful completion of a course or courses which are substantially similar to the courses specified in 16.3(1). Any course completed more than 24 months prior to commission consideration for approval shall not qualify for substitution.
View the full Pre-Broker class schedule
*If you take this 2 hour course, Avoiding Issues That Impede Professionalism, in the same renewal period as the pre-broker 6 hour course Federal and State Laws Affecting Iowa Practice, that will satisfy the 8 hour Law Update Requirement for your license renewal.
New Pre-Broker Bundle! Sign up for all 9 of the virtual Pre-broker courses* to get your Broker's License and save over $100.
Register Now for the February Pre-Broker Bundle
Take the Broker Exam
Testing for the Broker Exam is administered by PSI Examination Services at locations across the state.
About the Exam
||# of Questions
More information on the exam
How to Register for the Exam
- Register by phone: 800-733-9267 from 7:30am - 8:00pm Central Time
- Register online at www.psiexams.com
Apply for your Broker License
After you have passed the examination, you MUST apply for your real estate broker's license not later than the last business day of the sixth month following the qualifying examination test date.
Filing deadlines are ABSOLUTE.
You will need to attach the following items to your license application:
- A license fee of $170
- A pass notice from the examination service
- Proof of completing 60 hours of education within 24 months prior to taking the examination
- Your Iowa salesperson license, or an explanation if your license has been held inactive or if you do not have an Iowa salesperson license
- Proof of E&O Insurance
Tips for completing your application:
- You must complete the "Nonresident Consent" section of the application if you reside outside of Iowa
- You must provide the signature notarized on the license application form
- If your application is for a proprietor, partner, or officer and you intend to accept earnest monies, you must submit a "Consent to Examine and Audit Trust Account" form. If not, you must submit a "Trust Account Status Affidavit". These forms can be obtained from the Iowa Real Estate Commission or at https://plb.iowa.gov/trust-account-section
Education Email: email@example.com