The month of April marks the start of Fair Housing Month. In 1968, more than 50 years ago, the Fair Housing Act was passed, and while progress has been made in the right direction, there is still inequity in the housing process today. From unfair lending processes, neighborhood steering, and discrimination based on race, sexual orientation and other protected classes, REALTORS are on the forefront to put an end to these practices and be leaders for fair housing.
REALTORS must adhere to the National Association of REALTORS Code of Ethics in which members affirm their commitment to provide fair and equitable treatment for all clients regardless of their background and work in their best interest. The Iowa Association of REALTORS is proud to support our members in upholding the Code of Ethics and provide resources to better educate and inform our membership on supporting and advocating for fair housing.
In honor of Fair Housing Month, the Iowa Association of REALTORS is pleased to share several resources with our members to support their efforts to be leaders in fair housing.
1. Prominent Display of the Fair Housing Poster: Check out this video featuring Iowa Association of REALTORS Legal Counsel, Gabe Walsh, Diversity Committee Chair Anthony Lyne, and Diversity Committee Member Joe Henry on the importance of displaying the fair housing poster. Download /Print the Fair Housing Poster.
2. The National Association of REALTORS® Resources:
Fair Housing Toolkit
Fair Housing Month Events
Fair Housing Declaration
3. Fairhaven Challenge: The Iowa Association of REALTORS is challenging our membership to complete the Fairhaven Simulation. This fair housing simulation is a valuable training tool in best practices for fair housing and how to recognize discrimination in the home buying process.
Complete the Fairhaven Challenge
4. U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development: HUD is an excellent resource for any questions about fair housing. As the leader in housing in the United States, the Department of Housing and Urban Development provides all the information needed to know the rights and responsibilities for fair housing as well as the place in which to file a fair housing complaint if needed.
5. Connect with the Iowa Association of REALTORS Diversity Committee: The IAR Diversity Committee is hard at work to promote fair housing in the state of Iowa, increase industry diversity, and close the homeownership gap. Throughout April, the committee is encouraging members to post about fair housing on their social media platforms with #fairhousing4ia. This includes a picture with the fair housing poster in your office, sharing fair housing graphics, and more.
Interested in supporting the committee's efforts? Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.