Property taxes are a hot topic this time of year. Many Iowans disagree with the property tax assessment they recently received. Read these tips and advice on the Property Tax Appeal Process. Don't delay! You must appeal to your local board of review by April 30.
1. Read the assessment letter carefully.
2. Decide if a property tax appeal is worth your time.
3. Check the Facts. Your County assessor's website will have information about your home. Verify the information about the number of bedrooms or bathrooms, square footage and lot size are all accurate. If facts are wrong it may be a fairly easy appeal.
4. Ask your favorite Realtor® to find comparable properties or find a Realtor® here.
5. Contact your Local assessor’s office and complete necessary steps by April 30.
If you are unhappy with the review of the local board, you may appeal to the Iowa Property Assessment Appeal Board (PAAB). A taxpayer cannot bypass the local board of review and appeal directly to Iowa PAAB. Please review the details on the process at the Iowa Property Assessment Appeal Board - https://paab.iowa.gov/appealing-your-assessment.